General Goals 1) to be debt free in 3.5 years 2) save lots of money

Monday, April 4, 2011

Weekly Money Check-Up


1. The most I’ve spent this last week was on cat food. Besides that it was on bus tickets. I think its been a good week.
2. Today I am thankful that I have a job. Yes I would love to make more than I do, but I am still in a lot better place than many other people on this continent. 
3. Money can’t buy happiness. One free thing I did last week that made me happy was salsa dancing. I enjoy it and its good exercise. 
4. I will consider this week a success if I get to page#100 read in my LLPQ book and all the notes for those 100 pages done. 
5.  The last dream I had was about my riding nomination. A retired Prime Minister  was at the meeting and asking why the riding was nominating an unknown instead of my dad. And as a result my dad who was not running in the nomination actually won it... ya I know politics are clearly dominating my mind. 
*****I am about to rant a bit so if your not interested just skip this part****
Today I test drove a car. Now its not a new car nor was it an expensive car. It was a second hand Toyota echo 3 door hatchback. I made the mistake of telling my BF about it. The conversation mushroomed into how I 'spend my money' or rather the fact that I am putting about 1/2 my pay into student debt. He thinks I should stop doing that and redirecting the money to my car fund.  What he doesn't get is that I have until September until my payments for my line of credit will more than double. The faster I can get the line of credit down the faster I can AFFORD to even have a car. Because begin able to buy it is only one part of being about to AFFORD the car, there is gas and insurance and maintenance.  If my min. payment for my line of credit is $500 plus I will have my OSAP payment there is NO WAY I will be able to afford the insurance and gas for a car. 

On top of this on Sunday I had friend ask me why I was not willing to go out to lunch/dinner with him. He didn't seam to understand why I was not willing to dip into my car fund to spend $20-40 on dinner. 

I AM SO SICK OF HAVING TO JUSTIFY HOW I CHOSE TO SPEND MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!

First I don't think I am bad with money, I mean I am not perfect but I don't think I am terrible with it. EVERY ONE knew that when I graduated from Uni. I was moving home to pay off student debt. And if that means giving up a few nights out with friends and a slower savings account than  I am completely OK with this. Frankly I do not think I have to justify my choices since it's MY MONEY!!!

Than my BF had the gal to suggest that if I couldn't 'afford' the car that I should just get a higher paying job!!  Excuse me 10 days after I had handed in my last paper I was sitting in training class. Yes I could have waited 6 months until I had the 'ideal' job but who would have paid the bills for those 6 months.  He wasn't offering!! I have worked my but off to pay off (sundry debt) and pay down (Line of Credit) debt.  Yes a larger paycheque would be wonderful. But I don't live in lala land; I am a realist and I took the first job offered. 

Thanks for listening....

4 comments:

  1. Ha, I love that - "just get a higher paying job". If it was that simple, we'd all be earning 6 figure salaries! I think you're doing well in deciding where to put your money, and you're right - it's YOUR MONEY, so it's your decision how it's spent. Paying off debt is the best thing for you to do right now - short term pain for long term gain (cliche, but true). You'll be better off in the long run. Having a car is fruitless if you can't afford the gas to run it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think your decisions have been really good ones - it your LOC payment is going to double then you really need to reduce the principle which is what you're doing. And the fact you moved home in order to start the payoff shows how determined you are. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making very wise decisions. Don't let the "ignorance" of others deter you from your goals!!! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete